So, I’m having a pretty major surgery soon, and true to my nature, I am concerned about the state of my skin during my recovery period. I won’t be completely bedridden, but getting up frequently and staying up will not be something I’ll be able to do for at least a week. My first immediate thought when I found out I’d be having surgery was (after the initial shock of it all): “So … how will I do my skin care routine?”
I know on the surface this might sound vain, but my skin care routine is one of the main ways I ground myself and get my much-needed self-care in. It’s so ingrained in my life that I can’t really imagine skipping it for an extended amount of time. And that’s when it hit me—I could take a cue from my friend Kerry from the iconic skin care blog Skin and Tonics and come up with my own sinkless, waterless routine.
Now, I know you’re thinking: What? Waterless skin care routine? How is that possible? And friends, I would have also looked at you crazy if you told me you were attempting this. But Kerry is truly a revolutionary and has been doing a couch-side, waterless nighttime routine for years with amazing success. And I would trust Kerry with my life, so I decided, yup, we’re going to do this.
My first thought when I found out I’d be having surgery was (after the initial shock of it all): “So … how will I do my skin care routine?”
This routine is perfect for people who are recovering from an illness, injury, surgery, or people who don’t want to get out of bed (trust me, been there, done that, can write a book about it), or even those who just truly don’t want to deal with all the fuss of an extensive nighttime routine. It’s also perfect after a long night out or for those who work odd shifts and want to get in a nice routine after a long day at work.
Prep Your Supplies
First thing, you’re going to want to stock up on a few things:
1. A cleansing balm: Not an oil, specifically a balm. Oil runs down your arms and is messy, while balms are solid and offer a bit more control over your cleansing routine.
2. Face wipes: Yes, I am a staunch anti-face wipe person, but you’ll see why I’m not against them in this case very soon. It doesn’t matter which one you choose!
3. Bioderma Micellar Water or any micellar water of your choice. Bioderma is just my favorite one.
4. Evian spray water: Don’t skimp and get the small can, get the huge one!
5. Bamboo makeup remover pads: In 2020, we’re helping to save the planet. These pads are washable, just stick them in the provided bag and put them in the laundry at the end of the week. It’s revolutionary!
6. All the rest of the stuff you use in your routine: hydrating toner, serum, moisturizer, oils, etc.
7. A nightstand or shelf/lap tray to put all of your things on (optional, but helpful so you don’t have to get out of bed/off the couch).
The Waterless Skin Care Routine
Now that you have all of your “ingredients,” here are the steps to get your face clean right from your bed.
1. Remove your makeup and/or sunscreen with the Bioderma and the reusable cotton pads.
2. Then, massage in your balm cleanser. I like to take a dime-sized amount, warm it up in my hands, then do a little 2-minute massage. Take some time to breathe!
3. Take your giant bottle of Evian spray and mist it all over your face. As Kerry told me, “spray liberally on your oiled-up face and massage.”
4. Next, wipe off the water and cleansing balm with a face wipe.
5. If you’re feeling like you didn’t get everything off, you can go back one more time with the Bioderma and cotton pads.
6. Finish up the rest of your routine!
I mean, how iconic is that? So easy, and so helpful, especially during these challenging times. I’d love to hear your thoughts if you’ve tried a waterless skin care routine! Let me know in the comments what you think.